Friday, August 17, 2007

A letter from a WONDERFUL author!

I read a really wonderful series, called The Ladies of Covington. Many of the gals in my life have now read it to...and what can I say except that it's a COZY, uplifting, hopeful, joyous ongoing story of friendship, the possibilities in life...no matter our age! When I finished the first book I was totally beside myself to discover that it was the first of a series. So exciting! Like a goofey fan, I wrote an e-mail to the author, just gushing about how much I loved her book. Here's my embarassing note, and her lovely, gracious response. Enjoy!

Dear Joan,

I just wanted to drop you a note to thank you for your wonderful book, The Ladies of Covington. I stumbled upon it at the library last week, and having just finished it, I realize that I have stumble upon a true gem. To think I can continue this lovely journey with these dear ladies...I'm so thrilled! As a 36 year old woman, and new mother of two adopted children, I have had moments of suffering from the "why didn't I's"...the looking back and wishing that I'd done things differently in my "youth." It's so silly, but I think many of us start to allow ourselves to live with one eye looking backwards, feeling like the options and adventures available to us are a thing of the past. You book reminded me that that is nonsense, and totally untrue! My own mother raised 6 daughters, then divorced and went back to college. After 21 years as a "stay at home Mom", she finally got her degree, and then her Masters, and is now a Social Worker. I should look to her as my inspiration, yet there are moments when I forget. Your book reminded me of all the riches available now, and in the future. That's a wonderful thing to be reminded of, Joan! I'm suddenly realizing that the future can have all the promise that I'd previously only associated with being younger and having my entire life ahead of me. We all have our "entire lives ahead of us", and we need to remind one another of that.
My mouth watered at the description of the meatballs with prunes, and so I came in search of your web site. I knew you would have it here! I just wanted to tell you that I now have the pleasure of looking ahead to a summer spent reading your books...so in essence, I'll be spending the summer in Covington! Thank you so much, Joan! Keep the beautiful books coming!

Many thanks, and with much affection,
Brigid Glynn-Young




Brigid,
Thank you for writing. I'll add my voice to "never look back--never regret" You learn from mistakes, but don't dwell on them, for that doesn't help you or anyone else. You have a lifetime to do the things you want to do. Just begin. I didn't start writing until I was 64. I have had several cereers--horticulture, teaching for a time, developing adult learning programs, and writing. Each happened. My degrees are in history and counseling and I never worked in either field. I wish you happiness and all the luck in the world. And remember, there is a time for everything. Your mother is remarkable, bless her. Give her my best,will you? By the way, I married at 19 and had kids and started back to college at age 29 and spent 10 years getting my undergraduate degree.

Be well. Yours, Joan

No comments: