Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A Taste of Heaven

The weather for this years Labor Day weekend was spectacular. An absolute dream! It was such a relaxing long weekend, it feels like we went away on vacation...but we never left Budd Lake!

Maura and Seth hosted their annual "Buddstock"...and this year took it to a whole new level. They sent out invites to family and friends, and people arrived all weekend long for camping and relaxation. This years Buddstock was at their new home, the farm on Lozier Road...so the festivities were spread out all over their acreage, in their large farm house, in the barn (aka Man Den, to some), around the large fire pit area, in the woods, etc. It was fun to watch people pitching tents on Saturday, finding just the right spot...some chose close to the house (esp. those with kids), and some ventured out to the sunny upper field behind the barn...and the young boys chose the camp site down in the woods.

Saturday we all just sat around in the sunshine and breeze, drinking various yummy things, knitting (me), laughing a LOT...letting the kids run amock, many of the men beginning a cut-throat Quates (sp?) tournament over near the barn, that would last all weekend. Vickie (a dear friend of Maura's, and a good friend of the family after all these years) gave all the children extensive pony rides all over the yard. She boards her two ponies at Maura's right now...talk about awesome. The kids had fun feeding the horses hay all weekend too...those poor animals probably were sick of it by Sunday...but they got a LOT of hugs and much petting. My children were in heaven.

Seth had also finished off the loft of the barn (Game Central), and the air hockey and foozeball kept that a hot spot for the kids, and many others as well. It was a totally mellow day, and the evening consisted of nothing more than many smores and impromtu music around the fire.

Oh, the Big Dipper was right over Maura's house all weekend, it looked like it was pouring down onto the roof. Isn't that amazing?

Early Sunday afternoon Vickie's daughter Cora (7 yrs. old?) had a impromtu lesson on her horse, and we were a very enthusiastic audience for her as she jumped her beautiful pony all over the yard. It was a bit surreal...I was in the sunroom on the couch with my knee elevated, sipping coffee, reading a wonderful book...and the next thing I know she's going over jumps that her mom's set up in the yard right outside of where I'm sitting. Everyone was cheering to her success...she had a fun crowd to perform for. Seriously AWESOME.

Aunt Mare and her significant-other, Dave, came on Sunday afternoon and joined us in our vigorously lazy lounging...and he graciously kept us supplied with the best made Cosmo's I've ever had. Maura's friend Athena came that day too, and she and all the women (and my Briana), and MY FATHER, went up into "fairy land" (that large secluded open patch of sunshiney field back behind the barn, next to the giant peppermint patch) and did a whole yoga class for/with them.

From where Mare, Shannon and I were sitting on our asses sucking down our cocktails it looked quite dreamy. LOL

We had a delicious hodge podge of foods for lunch...dinner...it was a continual graze of bbq'd meats, delish side dishes, chips and dips, cookies...you name it. After dinner we celebrated Shannon's b'day with some killer decadent cakes and large quantities of Hagen Daz (sp?) vanilla ice cream with hot fudge. Yum.

Later that night some of the guys from the jazz band that Meg and Shan sing with came and set up all their gear, and we had the most amazing night of jazz under the stars. We sat facing the musicians, in a semi circle around the giant fire, and just soaked it all up. It was so awesome to get to hear all my sisters (except for Erin who was away celebrating her anniversary, and didn't join us until Monday) take turns singing their favorite standards, my father joining in with his guitar to do his favorite bossa nova tunes... and the musicians were spectacular. My favorite was the horn guy (sorry, can't remember your name, Horn Guy!) who played the clarinet, and the sax. It was so soulful in the evening air...everyone bundled in sweat shirts and just chilling out.

That night all the kids were snug into their various tents by 9:30, they'd had a good wind-down all tucked in together on the couches in the family room watching Peter Pan. Too cute. Matt, Briana and Brandon had our new tent set up, and they both told us the next day how cozy it was to lay in the tent listening to all the music. Around 11:00 the jazz guys packed up all their stuff and joined us at the fire. Various drums were brought out...and things got a little tribal.

Monday morning was my favorite, people lounging around in their p.j.'s drinking coffee, reminicing about the night before, laughing about how old and sore and pooped we all felt...and how we didn't want the weekend to end yet. Seth (Maura's husband) and Matt cleaned the kitchen that morning while most of us were still snoozing...or pretending to snooze to prolong the delisciousness of hearing people starting to stir all around...the house was coming alive down below my perch in the guest room...it was heavenly. My hubby took on the role of Egg Master, and cooked eggs for anyone and everyone as they awoke and wandered into the kitchen. Matt and I had a wonderful and increasingly uproarious visit with Ian (Shan's husband) on the sunporch, talking about our upcoming trip to Disney with mounting excitement. (it might have been slightly due to the copious quantities of coffee we'd been drinking)

Sunday afternoon the children were gathered around the campfire pretending to "do music" themselves...with guitars and mic stands as their props...they took turns performing for one another, totally oblivious to us boring adults. It was super cute.

All the remaining adults were gathered in the dappled sunshine under the giant tree in the middle of the yard sharing cold drinks and conversation.



The icing on the cake of our perfect weekend was when Erin and Lou arrived and made a big announcement...they are having their first baby!
Baby Glynn/Palma is due in April, a few weeks before Meg's wedding.
Many screams, tears, hugs were exchanged...it was just incredible.
It was almost too much, I felt on the brink of a good sob for quite a while after such joyfulness for all of us.
It was such a gift.

The day lingered, as did most of the family...I don't think anyone was interested in heading back to the "real world." But true to form, all good things must come to an end.


Slowly, tents were taken down, bedding rolled up, cars packed, children were sent on trash patrol (Brandon used his large Tonka dump truck to collect anything he could find in the grass...and he was thrilled)...and gradually everyone trickled home .

One of my favorite artists, Sara Groves, says it in a way I only wish I could...


Every Minute



I am long on staying * I am slow to leave* Especially when it comes to you my friend * You have taught me to slow down * And to prop up my feet * It's the fine art of being who I am *


And I can't figure out * Why you want me around * I'm not the smartest person I have ever met * But somehow that doesn't matter * No it never really mattered to you at all



** And at the risk of wearing out my welcome * At the risk of self-discovery * I'll take every moment * Every minute that you'll give me **



And I can think of time when families all lived together * Four generations in one house * And the table was full of good food * And friends and neighbors * That's not how we like now *



Cause if you sit at home you're a loser * Couldn't you find anything better to do * Well no I couldn't think of one thing * I would rather waste my time on than sitting here with you **



And at the risk of wearing out my welcome * At the risk of self-discovery* I'll take every moment* And every minute that you'll give me **



And I wish all the people I love the most * Could gather in one place * And know each other and love each other well * And I wish we could all go camping * And lay beneath the stars * and have nothing to do and stories to tell *



We'd sit around the campfire * And we'd make each other laugh remembering when * You're the first one I'm inviting * Always know that you're invited my friend



** And at the risk of wearing out my welcome * At the risk of self-discovery * I'll take every moment * And every minute that you'll give me * Every moment and every minute that you'll give me...every moment and every minute that you'll give me...every minute.



Maura and Seth once again gifted our entire family, and many friends, with an opportunity to be together, to play together, and to rejoice together! We'd had fantastic group meals, lots and lots of music, the most idyllic setting of sunshine and breezes, plenty of peaceful relaxation, hearty doses of laughter, very content children, and news of a new miracle in our midst.

What more could anyone ask for?



My only thought at this point is...Thank You, Jesus.

No comments: