Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Sure Thing

At 41 I'm finding that my bounce-back from a weekend jam packed with fun is not what it used to be. One of my best friends from my high school/college years came to visit this weekend. We had a reunion party planned for Friday night, he was going to be flying out the next day. He was in NY on business that week. But John lives in England with his beautiful family...and you know what came to a grinding halt this weekend. International flights did not exist with this volcano weirdness, so we lucked out and got to have John here all weekend. It was simply awesome for us, but I'm sure a little disconcerting for him as he waited in semi-limbo for word of flights, family news from home, and the impact this would have on his up-coming week of business meetings, etc.

I think it's been about 10 years since we've had a visit. John, Birgit and children have been living around the globe having tremendous adventures. While we had our 20th high school reunion a few years back, John was sending pictures of them all at the Great Wall in China. Amazing, no? Anyway...it was fairly surreal to have an entire weekend with my old friend. I looked at him at one point and said, "I just can't believe you are in my kitchen!" It felt so right, so normal, and so extraordinary, all at once. I realize that he has been frozen in time in my mind. Although he's been married for a long time now, I haven't really seen that part of his life. It's happened off my radar because of distance and the speed of life. Before this weekend, John was still a college kid to me...brainy, sharp humored, insightful, full of basically safe mischief and a tendency to want to corrupt us just a tiny bit...really the best combo of characteristics for a friend in my book. It was quite amazing to see the person I knew still existing in this very grown-up person...so proud of his family, hard working, and just plain fun to be with. He was as easy to hang out with as he'd always been... a calming, peaceful energy always ready with interesting conversation and observations.

It's been an interesting come-down this week, after a weekend of spontaneous on-going parties and fun with many old friends and family. Monday I had a bit of the post-retreat-blues, minus the retreat. You know what I mean! I didn't want to come down from the mountain top, what can I say? I am feeling very alive though, as often happens when I have any time with old friends. It's hard to articulate, but it's like I get reminded of who I am. Hmmm...how to say this...I remember who I was way back when; younger and full of passion for so many things...art, music, grabbing life with both hands, diving into love with ridiculous enthusiasm, reading everything I could get my hands on, pondering the tough questions, looking toward the future as this great big unknown adventure. I have time with these dear old friends and it helps me see that person still very much alive in me. I feel energized, younger, full of more awe for the future unknowns...and a desire to grab this life with a little more adolescent boldness. I looked around my kitchen on Sunday, at the last-minute brunch party we all had wrangled together, and I felt just overwhelmed with gratitude. To have such rich history with so many people who I love and admire, truly admire! How did I get this lucky?

There is this sweet little vase on the window sill above my kitchen sink. I was looking at it on Sunday evening as I washed up the dishes from Sundays festivities. An artist has painted the lyrics to The Beatles Long and Winding Road, scrolling all the way around it. It's cool. It got me humming another song about life's long journey, a song that used to be pretty special to my high school gang. Indulge my tendency toward the melancholic as I hum an old Antioch song of ours...feel free to sing along... :)

There's a new world somewhere, they call the Promised Land. And I'll be there someday, if you will hold my hand. I still need you there beside me, no matter what I do...for I know I'll never find another you.

There is always someone who needs your help they say. And you'll be my someone, forever and a day. I could search the whole world over, until my life is through...but I know I'll never find another you.

It's a long, long journey...so stay by my side. If I walk through a storm you'll be my guide, be my guide.

If they gave me a fortune my treasure would be small. I could lose it all tomorrow and never mind at all. But if I should lose your love, Lord, I don't know what I'd do...for I know I'll never find another you.

Don't forget hugs!
Can someone collect the music books and turn off the lights?
Who's going to Friendly's?!

No comments: