Friday, July 31, 2009

Hello, Imperfect Me

I've been thinking about the idea of perfection lately. For me, if perfection is the goal, then there is no hope. I mean, I always fall short of perfection, so if that is the end all be all, then I am in big trouble! I find this notion of peaceful imperfection so infinitely hopeful. If I can stay focused on just being present to the various seasons of my life, what a gift. I have such a sense of the chapters and seasons I've lived through thus far...why did turning 40 make me so introspective? Yeah, I know. You're laughing because you know I've always been introspective. BUT, seriously, this is a whole new level of introspection. Scary, huh? I was realizing the other day that such a big part of my journey has been growing into a place of being comfortable in all my imperfection, not in trying to grow toward perfection. Perfectionism stalls me, stops me in my tracks, haults my forward momentum...it's like being stuck in quick sand. The more you fight it, the deeper you sink...but if you can just lean back and relaxxxx...you will be in a position where someone can help pull you out. "We can do together what we could never do alone." I remind myself of this all the time, and as I get older, it has so much more meaning for me.

No comments: